|Ease of Training|
- His exact origin is unknown
- He was developed from a mixture of dogs in 1864
- He has been a popular breed among United States presidents
- He was one of the first breeds used as a police dog in Britain and Germany
- He was used as a messenger and guard dog in wartime
- He was used to kill rodents in homes and hunt game
Personality and Behavior
- He's sweet natured and outgoing
- He loves his master and family and wants to be in on all activities
- He is highly protective of his family
- He tends to be standoffish with strangers and other dogs
- He's swift, agile and very strong
- He has bags of energy and loves to play and run around
- He is a fearless and formidable opponent - he won't back down if challenged by another dog!
- He's highly alert and this makes him an excellent watchdog
- If he sees an animal run by he will chase it
- He's intelligent and will sometimes outsmart you which can be trying
- His independent streak can try your patience at times
- He has a high pain threshold so if he injures himself it can go unnoticed
- He's easy to train because he learns commands at an above average rate.
- He sheds virtually no hair. You'll be hard-pressed to find a hair in your home! (Good for clean-freaks.)
Grooming / Maintenance
- Option 1: Clip his coat short every few months and then it only needs to be brushed occasionally.
- Option 2: Strip his medium-length coat (pluck out the dead hairs) every 6 months and brush it occasionally.