|Ease of Training|
- His exact origins are unknown but can be traced back to the late 1800s
- He was bred around the city of Malines, from where he gets his name
- He's a sheepherder by trade and was used for security on farms
- Post WWII and in the early 1960s he came to the United States
- Because of his intelligence and strength he's been used as a protection, detection, police, army, and search and rescue dog
Personality and Behavior
- He's very intelligent
- He excels in all physical activities
- He is affectionate with his human loved-ones
- His wary nature makes him reserved around strangers
- He can be aggressive if he feels threatened by strangers or other dogs
- He's a good watchdog and an unmatched guard dog
- He's very easy to train. He learns commands very quickly.
- He sheds profusely! You will find a lot of hair in your home - stuck to your couch, carpets and clothes - and to just about everything else. You will be vacuuming regularly.
Grooming / Maintenance
- His short coat only needs to be brushed occasionally. However, because it sheds profusely you may find yourself brushing it a couple of times a week, or even daily, to reduce the hair in your home (what you remove with a brush doesn't end up on the couch!).
- Belgian Sheepdog, Belgian Tervuren
Submit a photo of your Belgian Malinois