Bernese Mountain Dog
|Ease of Training
- He originated in Switzerland
- His ancestors were brought to Switzerland thousands of years ago by Roman soldiers
- He worked on farms as a drover, draft dog (pulling carts and wagons), and as watchdog
Personality and Behavior
- He loves his human companions, is affectionate (he'll lean on you or sit on your feet), and likes to stick close to you
- He craves your love and attention!
- He's intelligent, strong, and quite agile for his size
- He's a quick learner
- He's good-natured, calm, and has a stable temperament
- He thrives in cold weather
- He's aloof with strangers
- He's slow to mature and can act puppyish for 2 to 3 years
- He loves being outdoors but is well behaved in the home
- He's generally friendly with strangers, other dogs and other pets
- He's patient and good with children
- He's easy to train because he learns commands at an above average rate.
- He sheds profusely! You will find a lot of hair in your home - stuck to your couch, carpets and clothes - and to just about everything else. You will be vacuuming regularly.
Grooming / Maintenance
- His medium-length coat only needs to be brushed occasionally. However, because it sheds profusely you may find yourself brushing it a couple of times a week, or even daily, to reduce the hair in your home (what you remove with a brush doesn't end up on the couch!).
Submit a photo of your Bernese Mountain Dog