Black and Tan Coonhound
|Ease of Training
- He was developed from the Bloodhound, Talbot Hound and Black and Tan Virginia Foxhound
- He was developed for hunting as a scent hound; hunting his game using only his nose
- He was primarily used for hunting raccoon but has also been used to hunt for bear, stag, cougar, and other big game because of his good nose, strength, and courage
Personality and Behavior
- He agile and very powerful
- He can handle cold and hot conditions
- He very alert and makes a good watchdog
- He is reserved with strangers
- He drools and slobbers
- He is generally easy-going and friendly with strangers and other dogs
- He's easily distracted by interesting smells and when he finds one becomes deaf to your calls
- He barks and howls often and isn't considered to be a quite dog
- He prefers and active outdoors lifestyle
- He's fairly easy to train. He learns commands at an average rate.
- He sheds quite a bit of hair. You'll find some hair stuck to your clothes, couch and carpets.
Grooming / Maintenance
- His short coat only needs to be brushed occasionally. However, because it sheds you may find yourself brushing it once a week, or more, to minimize the hair in your home (what you remove with a brush doesn't end up on the couch!).
Submit a photo of your Black and Tan Coonhound