Black Russian Terrier
|Ease of Training|
- He was developed in 1957 by Russia's State owned Red Star Kennel as a police guard dog to be used for protection (he originally wasn't bred for "looks" only ability)
- Some puppies were then sold to civilian breeders who bred him for "looks" as well as working ability
- The Giant Schnauzer, Airedale Terrier, and Rottweiler were heavily used in his development among 17 other breeds
Personality and Behavior
- He's very intelligent
- He can be aloof but bonds very close with his human family
- He's tough, large and powerful
- He has quite a bit of physical endurance
- He makes and excellent guard dog
- He's way of strangers
- He's loyal, brave and courageous
- He can be aggressive with other dogs
- He needs to romp and run outside everyday to burn his energy; or this pent out energy may turn into destructive behavior
- He's easy to train because he learns commands at an above average rate.
- He sheds virtually no hair. You'll be hard-pressed to find a hair in your home! (Good for clean-freaks.)
Grooming / Maintenance
- Option 1: Clip his coat short every few months and then it only needs to be brushed occasionally.
- Option 2: Clip and scissors his coat into shape every 6 weeks and brush it once a week.