|Ease of Training|
- He was bred for hunting badgers
- He can be traced back to dogs of the 15th century who were used for hunting badgers in Germany
- In the 17th century he got the name "Dachshund" which means "Badger Dog"
Personality and Behavior
- He tends to be snappy towards children
- He tends to growl or bark at strangers
- He tends to be aggressive toward strange dogs
- He loves digging holes
- He likes barking
- He loves to chase things due to his hunting instinct
- He doesn't like to be alone and needs to be around you!
- He's difficult to housebreak
- He's not easy to train. You will need patience as he is slower than most to learn obedience commands.
- He sheds quite a bit of hair. You'll find some hair stuck to your clothes, couch and carpets.
Grooming / Maintenance
- His medium-length coat only needs to be brushed occasionally. However, because it sheds you may find yourself brushing it once a week, or more, to minimize the hair in your home (what you remove with a brush doesn't end up on the couch!).
- Dachshund (Smooth), Dachshund (Wirehaired)