|Ease of Training|
- He was bred for hunting badgers
- He can be traced back to dogs of the 15th century who were used for hunting badgers in Germany
- In the 17th century he got the name "Dachshund" which means "Badger Dog"
Personality and Behavior
- He tends to be snappy towards children
- He tends to growl or bark at strangers
- He tends to be aggressive toward strange dogs
- He loves digging holes
- He likes barking
- He loves to chase things due to his hunting instinct
- He doesn't like to be alone and needs to be around you!
- He's difficult to housebreak
- He's not easy to train. You will need patience as he is slower than most to learn obedience commands.
- He sheds virtually no hair. You'll be hard-pressed to find a hair in your home! (Good for clean-freaks.)
Grooming / Maintenance
- Option 1: Clip his coat short every few months and then it only needs to be brushed occasionally.
- Option 2: Strip his medium-length coat (pluck out the dead hairs) every 6 months and brush it occasionally.
- Dachshund (Longhaired), Dachshund (Smooth)
Submit a photo of your Dachshund (Wirehaired)