|Ease of Training|
- He originated on the island of Newfoundland, Canada
- He was originally used by fisherman to catch fish that escaped from the net, and then as a retriever used for hunting
- He has been the most popular breed in the United States for many years: owned by millions of people
Personality and Behavior
- He's kind, even-tempered, friendly, and gentle
- He's boisterous when young
- He's highly intelligent and learns things very quickly!
- He loves to participate in all family activities making him the perfect family dog
- He's very eager to please you
- He gets along well with other dogs and pets
- He loves to hold things in his mouth and chew objects
- He loves to swim
- He's excellent with children
- He isn't noisy but will occasionally bark
- He gets along very well with strangers
- He loves to eat!
- He's one of the easiest of all breeds to train because he learns so quickly. (There's only a few of these super-fast learning breeds--and he's one of them!)
- He sheds quite a bit of hair. You'll find some hair stuck to your clothes, couch and carpets.
Grooming / Maintenance
- His short coat only needs to be brushed occasionally. However, because it sheds you may find yourself brushing it once a week, or more, to minimize the hair in your home (what you remove with a brush doesn't end up on the couch!).