Portuguese Water Dog
|Ease of Training|
- He originated in Portugal
- He was bred to accompany fisherman on boats
Personality and Behavior
- He's energetic and athletic
- He loves the water
- He likes to be petted
- He's good with strangers
- He usually bonds extra closely with one family member
- He doesn't like being away from you for long periods of time
- He has a habit of standing on his back legs to investigate table tops for food
- He needs lots of physical and mental stimulation or he will be bored and his behavior may become destructive
- He's easy to train because he learns commands at an above average rate.
- He sheds virtually no hair. You'll be hard-pressed to find a hair in your home! (Good for clean-freaks.)
Grooming / Maintenance
- Option 1: Clip his coat short every few months and then it only needs to be brushed occasionally.
- Option 2: Clip and scissor his long coat into shape every 6 weeks and then brush it daily to keep it mat and tangle free.