|Ease of Training|
- He's one of the most ancient toy dogs
- He originated from central Europe in the 17th century from terriers who were kept on farms, stables and homes to kill the rats
- He was developed in Munich, Germany
- Affenpinscher means "Monkey Terrier"
- It's believed he was used as a parent in the development of the Miniature Schnauzer and Brussels Griffon dog breeds
Personality and Behavior
- He's intelligent, active and playful
- He's self-confident and takes himself very seriously which can be humorous
- He's loyal, loving and affectionate to his master and family
- He's protective of his family
- He's slow to make friends with strangers and other dogs
- He will chase any small creature that runs across the ground
- He can handle long walks and hikes
- He will fearlessly take on a dog 10 times his size if he's provoked
- He likes to explore and investigate things
- He's alert and will bark at the presence of a stranger on his turf making him a great watchdog
- He can be difficult to housebreak
- He's very territorial and possessive of his things
- He's great with children who respect and treat him gently
- He's easy to train because he learns commands at an above average rate.
- He sheds virtually no hair. You'll be hard-pressed to find a hair in your home! (Good for clean-freaks)
Grooming / Maintenance
- Option 1: Clip his coat short every few months and then it only needs an occasional brushing.
- Option 2: Strip his medium-length coat (pluck the dead hairs out) every 6 months and brush it occasionally.