|Ease of Training
- He originated in the border country of Scotland and England
- He was bred as a sheep herder
Personality and Behavior
- He's affectionate with his family
- He's highly intelligent, learns very quickly, and posses an uncanny ability to reason (many considered him to be the most intelligent dog breed)
- He loves to play fetch!
- He's highly energetic
- He's extremely agile; able to change direction in a split second
- He's very responsive and obedient to your commands
- He can be reserved around strangers
- He may try to "herd" the family, friends, bicycles, cars, other pets, ducks or anything else that moves
- He likes to stay on his property and isn't the type of dog who will wander miles away
- He needs lots of mental stimulation and physical exercise or he can become a handful (don't get a Border Collie unless you will be able to take him for a vigorous run and play outside, everyday; or unless you have a big backyard that he will have access to)
- He's one of the easiest of all breeds to train because he learns so quickly. (There's only a few of these super-fast learning breeds--and he's one of them!)
- He sheds quite a bit of hair. You'll find some hair stuck to your clothes, couch and carpets.
Grooming / Maintenance
- His medium-length coat only needs to be brushed occasionally. However, because it sheds you may find yourself brushing it once a week, or more, to minimize the hair in your home (what you remove with a brush doesn't end up on the couch!).
Submit a photo of your Border Collie